Wool Dryer Balls

I scent my wool dryer balls with organic lavender essential oil. 1-2 drop per ball.

You will need:  
  • 6 Skeins of 100% Wool Yarn (Patons Classic  100 % Wool Yarn works well.  If you have the Michaels or JoAnn's Fabric 50% off coupons it's about $3.00 a skein)
  • 1 Pair of old or new Panty Hose Stockings
  • 1 large yarn needle
  • Scissors
  • Acrylic or Cotton Yarn
  • Your favorite essential oil (mine is lavender)
Patons 100% Classic wool works very well.

Directions:    
  • Wraps the wool yarn around two fingers about 10 times and pull off fingers.
  • Wrap the middle of the tens strands, then fold in half and begin wrapping around the entire newly forming ball.
  • Continue to wrap evenly around the ball (it may seem lopsided but you can easily correct shape by adding more yarn around the area that needs it to become a ball shape).
  • It will take one skein of yarn to make a softball sized dryer ball.
  • When you come to about the last 5 inches of yarn, thread it though your large yarn needle.
  • Once threaded push the needle through the ball and pull it out the other end. Repeat this a few times, then cut the remaining small piece left hanging out flush to the ball.

  • Repeat these steps until you have 6 large wool dryer balls.
  • Inserts the balls into your two pantyhose stocking and using the acrylic yarn tie off each ball (so they don't felt togther).
       The smaller ones depicted here were previously felted, I just added them to demonstrate the step                                                     (I forgot to take the pic on an earlier batch I made, lol)!
They will shrink down a bit after they are felted.
  • Make sure each end it tied off to keep the balls in the stockings.
  • Add them to your washer with a load of towels.
  • Wash on hot, with cold rinse.
  • Remove from washer when done, keeping in the pantyhose.
  • Add them to the dryer with the towels on hottest setting and dry completely.
  • Remove from dryer & remove the balls from the stockings.
  • The balls should be felted now (meaning the stands are stuck together and will not separate).
  • If they are not properly felted add them back to another pair of stockings and wash/dry again following the same steps listed above. Sometimes it takes a few times to felt the balls properly, depending on the wool you use. I use Patons and have not had any issues with not felting on the first try.
  • Add a drop of your favorite essential oil to each ball and throw all six back in with the towels for  about 20 minutes to complete your felt.
I keep mine in a pretty bowl on top of my dryer when not in use.
Notes: If you see a lot of shedding on your clothes you need to re-felt them. Once properly felted it should not shed a lot. You also can add them to a small laundry bag to keep any shedding from happening. This is a great way to naturally scent your clothes. I am chemically sensitive so this is a must for me. I absolutely love my wool dryer balls. If you use 6 balls it will  cut down on drying time while helping your clothes be less wrinkled & free of static cling. They make great gifts. You can make a couple and included the instructions with a set of towels or whatever else you want to give for a house warming or wedding shower gift. 
Yields: 6 Wool Dryer Balls

2 comments:

  1. Can you use these if you have a wool allergy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, I wouldn't risk it if I were allergic to wool. Sorry couldn't be of more help.
      LK

      Delete

Thank you for keeping your comments G rated and specific to this blog or post on this blog.

Blessings!

Print Friendly and PDF