Laundry Detergent Powder

Made a custom label and added a Fleur de Lis scoop, using a shot glass to measure my bleach & fabric softner, tres chic!
Ingredients:
  • 12 Bars Fels-Naptha Soap-Usually found on your laundry isle, or Ivory Soap (DO NOT USE Ivory Soap if you are making for use in an HE washer, use the Fels-Naptha Soap instead)
  • 8 Cups Borax
  • 8 Cups Washing Soda-I use Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
  • 1 Large Bottle Purex Scent Enhancer (cheaper than Downy Unstoppables)
  • 1 96oz Tub of Sun Oxygen Cleaner (cheaper than Oxyclean)

Directions:
  • Grate the bars of soap with a cheese grater. (I use my kitchen aide attachment to finely grate the soap & it work very well, with very little effort).
  • Add to a large bucket all of your ingredients ingredients; combine well.
  • Add mixture in batches to your food processor with chopper blade on. This really makes the bars soap & the scent crystals blend with the powder into a nice a fine powder.
  • Add to large plastic garbage bag & mix well well (I use my hands).
  • Store in a large tightly sealed container. 
I store mine in an old honey pail.
Usage: Use 3 TBS for each load & 4 TBS for heavily soiled loads.
Notes:  One thing I will point out is this is very messy to make. It creates a fine dusting of powdered soap throughout the air and kitchen area. If you can deal with a lot of clean up then you will be fine. I use a large glass 2 gallon jar with a on lid. I made a custom label for my jar so it look nice on top of my dryer. The rest I store in a recycled plastic honey pail with snap on lid. This is a low suds formula and should be safe for most HE washers. *Please consult your washer manufacturer before using. *
Yields: Approx. 250-400 loads depending on how much you use per load.  

4 comments:

  1. Please tell me the name of the attachment. Where did you get it? Thanks
    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you referring to the grating attachment? If so, it's a kitchen aid attachment that goes with my kitchen aid mixer. I think I paid $30.00 for it.

      Delete
  2. Where do you buy the Purex Scent Enhancer and the Sun Oxygen Cleaner. I don't believe I have ever seen them before

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for keeping your comments G rated and specific to this blog or post on this blog.

Blessings!

Print Friendly and PDF